As mentioned in Lesson #1 …..
“I have a friend who has started writing tutorials for some of the issues he is facing on a daily basis. I thought it would be nice to add a few of these to the blog for the benefit of the readers. For all you coders out there, take a look and let me know what you think. I will be adding several of these over the next few weeks. At some point I will package them all in a pdf for download.”
Lesson #2 Rest vs. SOAP defined
First a quick chart comparing the two.
When to use SOAP?
SOAP would be a good choice to:
- Enforce a formal contract between consumer & web service
- Expose enterprise business workflow
- Support enterprise level security is required
- Support distributed transaction across enterprise system
- Support asynchronous transaction processing
- Support various transport protocols e.g. SMTP
When to use REST?
REST would be an ideal choice to:
- Expose entity (data) as a resource
- Support various message formats
- Ease the development & maintenance
- Conforms with current trends in programming, more up to date